2.11.2011

Artwork to Room: à la Turc, by way of Russia

This one was thump-you-on-your-head obvious, but I couldn't resist.

Jean-Etienne Liotard, Portrait of a Young Woman in Turkish Dress Sitting on a Divan, circa 1750. Musée d’Art et d’Histoire, Geneva.*

Living room of Charles and Olya Thompson, from American Vogue, Jan. 2010.** 

* Don't confuse this with the strikingly similar portrait belonging to the Rijksmuseum which is thought to portray Mary Gunning, the Countess of Coventry. Liotard produced several pastels of this ravishing scene but only the one in Amsterdam certainly depicts Lady Coventry. DO, however, click on the image to see more detail. It's my own scan (not the greatest, but the colors are better than anything else I can find), so if you borrow it, please credit the book whose spine I butchered to get the scan: 

Jean-Étienne Liotard (1702-1789): Masterpieces from the Musées d’art et d’histoire of Geneva and Swiss Private Collections. New York: Frick Collection, 2006.

** This is from one of my old folders and I can't find the rest of the article, but you can see more images at Habitually Chic. Trust me, you'll want to.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Ryan said...

Great stuff!

canvas art shop

October 8, 2012 at 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home