3.14.2007

And the locust went up over all the land of Egypt, and rested in all the coasts of Egypt: very grievous were they.

Thousands of flying insects, an inch and a half long, red-eyed, grotesque, alight upon the earth and cover everything in their path. It's a story out of a child's nightmare, or a horror movie. Or the bible. I remember being five years old, walking with my mom as she pushed my infant sister in the stroller. I remember the distinctive thrum in the air, but I especially remember my disgust at the crunching and squishing sounds as the stroller's wheels crushed the bugs that covered the ground.

Cicadas. Are you ready for them? Every seventeen years the big kids come out to play. And it looks like we're due for an invasion.

Which is why I love Erica Weiner's cicada earrings. It helps have a sense of humor about these things.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home