7.10.2007

Adventures in Decorating

Moving has been such an...interesting experience. This wasn't any ordinary move, as I am finally ensconced in my first studio apartment whereas before I had always been thrown in with family or roommates.

I've gotten used to blissful solitude very easily. And having my own place is so exciting - I don't have to defer to anyone else for decorating decisions! I don't have to worry about whether or not my roommates will like the new rug, or whether they will spill a glass of wine all over it - because all of the spilling will most likely be done by me. I can handwash clothes in the bathtub and hang them from the shower curtain rod, without any concern whether anyone will see my unmentionables!

I'm also learning about patience. I had this idea that two weeks after having moved, I would have all of my furniture and everything would be unpacked - that the apartment would be magazine-ready, so to speak. Hah! As it is, I'm still eating on the floor (on my great-aunt Anna's fiestaware-like glass plates, at least) amidst a sea of neat little piles of books and papers. I'm going to the 24-hour Starbucks down the street to check up on the news, or checking my e-mail at the gym, because I still don't have internet. As much as I can complain about not having a table, or chairs, or sufficient storage...a month into this experiment, I'm loving every minute of it.
Most of the time.

It's kind of nice to be doing my decorating at such a leisurely pace, because it gives me more time to think about what I really want and need. When I finally decided, after two weeks of hanging a garbage bag on a hook in the kitchen, that I definitely needed a real trash can, I hemmed and hawed and finally fell in love with this clever item from the Container Store.

It's definitely a classic, but it took some convincing before I decided that it was OK that my first thought upon seeing it was "where's Oscar?"

I think that great design often has the capability to make one laugh (Philippe Starck being a prime example) so I'm glad that I found something so ordinary - yet also so extraordinary.
Does that make sense?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's important to decorate at a slow pace. New things are great if they really resonate with you and mean something/make you laugh/serve a purpose. Whenever I see those articles where they had one month to get it done, even if Sister PArish herself did it - I CAN"T STAND IT. Take your time and have fun - that's my motto!

July 18, 2007 at 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home