2.02.2007

You Tube je t'aime beaucoup!

Those of you lucky enough to have been in Europe (specifically France) this summer may have seen Paris je t'aime. I did and...I loved it. I thought it was a wonderful, transcendent film.



If you've never heard of it, the premise is that 20 leading directors (including Alfonso Cuaron, Joel and Ethan Cohen, and Gus Van Sant) were asked to create five-minute segments, each centered around a particular arrondissement in Paris.

The only real guideline other than that was that the segments had to be about love in some way...platonic, romantic, familial, you get the picture. The cast is practically a "who's who" of French and American acting...I'll let you be surprised but if you see this film be prepared to see lots of familiar faces! And I'm not talking about Paris Hilton types.

The amazing thing about this film is that you cannot be bored, there is something there for everyone - comedy, drama, tragedy, even horror. Unlike watching an awful 2 hour movie, if you don't like a particular segment (and there were one or two that I didn't particularly care for), you can be consoled with the fact that it will be over in 5 minutes and something better will follow.



Another interesting thing is that the movie is bilingual...it was interesting watching it in France as the English parts were the ones with subtitles! I know people who have absolutely no French who saw this in the v.o. (original language) and still enjoyed it.

Anyways, the real point of this post is that I was trawling YouTube and found some goodies for those of you who are curious. Hopefully they will tide me over, fuzziness and all, until it is finally released here in the States (it was actually here in Chicago for a French film festival this winter but tickets sold out before I could get one. Bummer!) First of all, the trailer (English language) is here.
The French bande-annonce (trailer), which I find more stylish (bien sûr!) is here.

And, finally, one of my favorite segments for your very own viewing pleasure, here. It's directed by Wes Craven and stars Rufus Sewell (who, as you may remember, wowed me in this stage production), and Emily Mortimer. It's filmed in one of my favorite spots in Paris, Père Lachaise.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home