5.06.2007

Yup, I still heart NY

You know, just because a souvenir-like item is touristy doesn't mean it ought to be lacking in great design. You can show your love for a favorite city without sacrificing your aesthetic principles. Take NYC, for example. New York is one of my favorite cities to visit - in fact it is one of the most beloved in the world. Some past evidence of my NY love affair can be seen here, here, and here.

Gotham-themed souvenirs abound - conventional or otherwise. Let me point you towards a few of my personal favorites:

It may look like a toy but the New York City in a Bag set by Muji is not just for kids. I still regret not taking it home with me when it caught my fancy at the MOMA Design store.



My first introduction to Josef Frank came in Domino a year or so ago, in the form of his delightful Manhattan print. Get your own Manhattan tote at Svenskt Tenn.



Then there is the NYC Pentatray, new at Room and Board. Produced with the now iconic graphics of the subway system, these would make a playful and graphic accent to any home. Thanks to Christian Quilci for the heads up.


How great is this modern trompe l'oeil, the classic Happy to Serve You Cup produced in ceramic?


John Derian is a favorite, as always. I like to save the best for last. I love the nostalgia and collectible quality of his decoupage pieces - when I visited his wunderkammern-like store on the Lower East Side I was swooning like a lovestruck teenager. Apparently a proud New Yorker, Derian produced a series of paperweights with old maps of different neighborhoods. Here's the one of the West Village..my adopted NYC neighborhood ;)



I'll top this off with a wee wonderful clip from one of my favorite Sex and the City episodes ever...can you guess the ep title?
Ok, here's a big hint:


...yes, that is a plastic bag floating about in there!

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger MT said...

I did a post on those cups in March and I'm since the proud owner of two of them!

http://mteriors.blogspot.com/2007/03/new-york-deli-cup.html

I love the snow globe with the plastic bag! Great find :)

May 29, 2007 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I love this! So perfectly New York. One day when plastic bags are outlawed, it will be so "vintage" to have a plastic bag...did I mention that I love it?

May 31, 2007 at 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home